Please do not adjust your sets
Rootsweb and/or Ancestry seem to be playing some games with their servers, these last few days. As one of the early web hosting subscribers--which is to say that I started off paying a small annual fee for my hosting--I've thus far been saved having the institutional green Rootsweb/Ancestry banners across the tops of every page. I've been more than happy with this arrangement, but I noticed the other day that these banners had suddenly started showing up on my pages.
I can understand why Rootsweb might decide that all free hosting should come at the price of banner ads. That's usually the way of things. The thing that annoys me is the way in which they're implemented and the fact that we "tenants" were given no warning that this re-engineering of our pages was due to occur. I have some fairly involved layout going on with my pages (and yes, I know I probably should re-work and simplify them), so when the Rootsweb servers started arbitrarily injecting their JavaScript and HTML markup and wrapping my pages in CSS markup that I can't control, things started breaking in unpleasant ways.
As I write this, I've found a workaround for the problems – for now. Still, the whole business has got me thinking about whether it might be time to start making arrangements to move the site to a host where I don't have to worry about someone modifying my pages and where I have access to tools like PHP and MySQL databases.

<< Home